Thursday, March 08, 2007

Optimism and other messages the world is trying to send.


"Most of us swimming against the tides of troubles the world knows nothing about, need only a bit of encouragement - and we will make the goal."
-Jerome P. Fleishman.


Driving home yesterday morning from a doctors appointment, the sun shinning brightly, almost blindingly on the snow with a fine salt mist spray a-flutter in the air making my windshield a little hazy I was inspired: I resolved to write a new blog entry.

The shores of the lake: ice bound. The sky: bright and brilliant. The air: bitterly cold. The day was full of promise.

Ever have those moments? You find insight, crystal clear, the words fall in place; You know you have something Fantastic right there at that moment?!

Optimism has been knocking at my door with a firm clear message to keep looking, and have Hope! Yes there are days when gloom pervades. However, with just a little effort, (maybe a bit more than just a little), and persistence the plan will unfold, and things will work out just fine - I will reach my goal!

Every year I set goals for myself, simple things, things that I sincerely want, and I keep track of how I'm doing, some progress is always good. Small steps work well.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
- Lao-tzu (604 BC - 531 BC), The Way of Lao-tzu


As I was driving I was thinking, if I take stock at this particular moment in time; the picture may not be perfect, but I am moving forward, towards my goal as well as along the highway.

We saw the documentary film 'An Unreasonable Man' the other day, about Ralph Nader - Now there is an optimist! He is not alone. There are many optimists out there: Jean-Michel Cousteau, David Suzuki - these are people who have devoted their lives to achieving goals, which may seem far fetched at first, but if you look closely: they are making headway.

These guys are famous sure, but they started out with an idea and kept believing in it and working at it. Now that is optimism at work.

The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define them, or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do along the way, and who will be sharing the adventure with them.
- Denis Watley


AHA!

The first step is of course to define a goal!


In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it.
Robert Heinlein (1907 - 1988)


The victory of success is half won when one gains the habit of setting goals and achieving them. Even the most tedious chore will become endurable as you parade through each day convinced that every task, no matter how menial or boring, brings you closer to fulfilling your dreams.
Og Mandino (1923 - 1996)


The thing always happens that you really believe in; and the belief in a thing makes it happen.
Frank Lloyd Wright (1869 - 1959)


Earlier in the day at the doctor's, the time came to schedule a follow up, when I was offered the date I said "Sorry that date won't work for me: I'll be in the Bahamas" and I realized that I was on my way, right there, right then. I will be going to the Bahamas again this summer!

Be Optimistic! it's a lot of fun.

NOTE:
The image featured is a painting titled: "Optimism"
used with permission from the Artist
Visit Carol Marine and see her art at
http://www.bluecloudstudios.com/default.htm

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

My wife Joan and I loved to go to the water at Ontario Street and the Marina down town in the dead of winter. We would pick a sunny day and very cold. We would walk as far as we could and turn back to the car. We would just laugh out loud at how alive the cold, the sun and wind made us feel. After my wife passed recently, I took my daughter and son-in-law to Ontario Street on a very cold but sunny day. I think they thought I was nuts but now they know how their Dad and Mom had fun.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home